CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 4, 2010

Time to Transfer

A lot has happened in the last few weeks and its time to blog about it. The Thomas Family was struck with the stomach flu for the first time (and I'm positive not the last) this year. All the boys came down with it within a few hours of each other. Since I was scheduled to leave for Pasadena on September 29 I was hoping I would skip town before I came down with the nasty bug. Well it was wishful thinking, right? I woke up Wednesday morning and of course didn't feel right. Then came the throw up. I was due to get on a plane at 1:30 and didn't know if I was going to be able to do it. I knew that I HAD to be there. The embryos were going to be ready on Thursday and since there is no way to "put them on hold" I had to force myself to pack my bags and head on out. I stopped all fluids and food that morning so that I had less of a chance of being sick on the plane. I was determined to beat it.

Thankfully it worked. My mom was able to join me and although I wasn't able to be much fun (due to sickness and bed rest) it was so nice to have her there with/for me. I spent most of Wednesday in my hotel bed trying to recover. Thursday morning I had check in at the Fertility Clinic at 10:15 for a 10:45 transfer. Thankfully I woke up Thursday morning feeling a whole lot better.

I checked in and they took me back into the room to get ready. My mom fell in love with their amazing coffee machine and couldn't stop going back for refills! After about 30 minutes sitting in the room the Dr came in and handed me a picture of the 2 embryos that were going to be transferred. He then left the room to go make a phone call to the Intended Parents to tell them it was time. Since they live in Italy, they were unable to attend the transfer but were so excited to hear that it was about to happen. That much closer to their dream! As the Dr got ready he jokingly says "Well I bet this is the first time your mother has been in the room while you conceived"......niiiiice!

The transfer procedure was short and for the most part painless. Kind of similar to a PAP smear. The Dr used an ultra sound machine and a catheter. He inserted the catheter and then used the phone to call the embryologist who was waiting back in the lab with the embryos. The Embryologist then came in the room carefully carrying a tray. My mom said that the embryos were in a "dishlike thing" with another catheter attached. The Dr then attached the catheters together as the other Embryologist left the room. He then called the room to let us know that the embryos did in fact leave the "dishlike thing" and were successfully transferred! The whole procedure took about 15 minutes. I was then instructed to stay on the bed and relax for at least 30 minutes. I was discharged with instructions to stay in bed for the next 24 hours and just relax.

I am now on a "light activity" restriction for the next 2 weeks. I am scheduled for a pregnancy test on October 12 to determine if 1 or both embryos implanted. I'm so excited to finally be at this point in the journey. I will be continuing the hormone medication for at least the next 12 weeks. For the most part I have been taking it easy and relaxing. I'm taking advantage of that little yellow paper that states I am not to do any strenuous activity!

I have been in contact with the couple quite often since the day I left for Pasadena. They tell me over and over that they can not express how excited and greatful they are. I feel the same about them. I am so greatful and very blessed to be part of such an amazing thing. They should be holding their baby/ies in about 10 months if all goes planned! So exciting!!!